Friday, 10 January 2020

Tunnel Vision

Having been so candid in my last blog post, divulging my struggles, I felt the need to keep this blog post all light and fluffy. Nevertheless, there is one observation that is still nagging on me. It connects well with last week's blog post.

I have come to learn that I completely self identify with the career path that I have taken on and I have unequivocally dismissed different aspects of who I am. This is quite unfortunate considering the strides I have made in other areas of my life. For example, I have been making tremendous progress with my Arabic reading skills, practising reciting the Quran. I am enjoying the process and I feel like I am connecting on a more spiritual level with my faith. I have also sharpened my cooking skills and can now make dishes from various cuisines. I consider these great gains considering that I do not even enjoy cooking. In the past, I always felt threatened whenever I approached an empty pot. Not any more. Now, I have a few survival skills under my belt.

The lesson that I learnt in reflecting on these past few weeks and reading older posts is that I should not be blindsided by a single dream to the point that it derails me from actually living and enjoying life. It would be a sad world we lived in if to achieve one goal, we would have to give up all the flavours and experiences that life has to offer. Therefore, I question the notion that tunnel vision is needed to keep your eyes on the prize or the idea that time that is not used chasing your dreams is time wasted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment