Over the past year, I have been struggling to stay afloat. I have needed to adjust to a new life that accommodates my father's health. Being unable to hear his voice means that I can no longer have him share his words of wisdom with me. I typically turn to loved ones when I need support; my heart is in the hands of all those who love me. Still, I am trying hard to hold on to his common phrases. A few favourites of his are: "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going," and "You are a winner!" Simply writing it in this blog post puts a smile on my face. He will forever be my champion.
Remembering that I have many people rooting for me has helped, especially when I feel like I am scrambling to master the art of therapy. Clinical work involves technique, knowing what to say and what to do, but more importantly, it consists of being present and showing up for clients. I attribute this shift in mindset to the many experiences I have had over the past year and to pursuing therapy. Yes, therapists see therapists, kind of like doctors visit doctors for check-ups.
So why have I surfaced to write? For starters, I have missed writing and I have wanted to share with my readers and myself that I am doing great. I am happy. I am much more comfortable with conducting therapy sessions. In the most general terms, this post is a reminder that I have done it once and so I can do it again. I hope to focus on the glimmers and not only the triggers. My contentment is proof that I have come a long way, and all the while knowing that there is still more room for self-growth and healing. Isn't life something! So what do I plan to do to preserve this new found internal contentment. I hope to eat right, sleep well, interact with others in the field, and learn. If you find yourself struggling, I suggest these effective and impactful strategies for change.
No comments:
Post a Comment