Monday, 23 January 2017

No Ordinary Day

A few months ago, I moved out of Northern Ontario and moved to the Greater Toronto Area. This relocation was unforeseen, unplanned, and uncalculated. It all happened quickly, and suddenly. And although I did not write a blog post, I recall to this day that my excitement for the big move overpowered my sense of fear and anxiousness.

No longer a resident of a northern community, I was keen on finding my footing in the metropolitan area. And as a visible minority in a diverse city, I thought that I would be able to weave my way effortlessly into the community. Needless to say, I struggled. I am still trying to find where I belong.

Today, I found myself committed to my word. I attended an art class held by the community's visual arts centre. Below is an image of the building, which in and of itself is a work of art. The sample for Magic Monday was contemporary flowers using water-based media. I was no Picasso, but I enjoyed every moment of the 3-hour class. Art is a course that I have loved and lost since I graduated from high school, which has been over ten years ago.  I even got a chance to paint with my fingers. A rarity for a graduate student. I would insert an image of my final work but it's too rough of a copy to share. After a few more classes, I think I may be more comfortable with showcasing my work. I cannot wait for the many more Mondays to come.





No comments:

Post a Comment